Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finally

And we're back! And by we, I mean me... thanks to the 'support' aka persuasion of some people who still want to be updated on my (now) relatively boring life at GCC. Hopefully my posts will remain somewhat regular and interesting to read now that I'm back in the US.

Funniest thing to happen today: I recieved a pair of 38-28 men's khaki pants in the mail (which I did not order; I figured that would be obvious, but just in case there's any doubt...). I didn't even know they made pants for people that short and round! Now I have to hike on down to the post office and return them. Silly.

On a more serious note I've recently been learning how I need to give up every aspect of my life to Christ. It's a tough decision and definitely frightening, but my devotions and people God has been putting into my path are constantly re-emphasizing this message. Just last night I read from C.S. Lewis,

"Now we cannot. . . .discover our failure to keep
God's law except by trying our very hardest (and then failing). Unless we try,
whatever we say there will always be at the back of our minds the idea that if
we try harder next time we shall succeed in being completely good. Thus, in one
sense, the road back to God is a road of moral effort, of trying harder and
harder. But in another sense it is not trying that is ever going to bring us
home. All this trying leads up to the vital moment at which you turn to God as
say, 'You must do this. I can't.'" (Mere Christianity)
How important this lesson is, and how difficult to learn! I have been trying and trying to learn this consciously for the past year now, but it was just through this reading last night that I was finally able to acknowledge what I had known, but not known all along - I must surrender completely; no holding onto the tiny thoughts in the back of my mind any longer.

No comments: