Friday, December 5, 2008

The Dumbest Generation


Continuing our discussion in Issues on the book reviews, today Laryssa talked about the book she read called, The Dumbest Generation by Mark Bauerlein. It talks about how we as a group (under 30 years old) because of technology and loss of common goals and morality, are progressively leading the United States towards loss of its principles and leadership in intellect. The scary part is, when asked, this generation said, "Yes, I know I'm bowing to peer pressure and pop culture. Yeah, I can't read, but I don't care." How sad this is!

Now, I realize this Calvin and Hobbes block isn't exactly showing that, but it does show an attitude too prevelent in today's society and somewhat links back to the main point of the book: "Young Americans need someone somewhere in their lives to reveal to them bigger and better human stories than the sagas of summer parties and dormitory diversion and Facebook sites." (Bauerlein 199)

No comments: