Saturday, February 9, 2008

Jules Verne, speaking of whom, it was his birthday yesterday too...

Today was full of adventures! First my host mom and I went to a strange electronics store in kind of a (I thought) shady part of town - this was to find a USB card for her Mac. Unfortunately, they didn't have it, but we both got a good laugh out of it; apparently electronics stores in France only ever have men in them. Now, we did get a few strange looks walking into the store, but I didn't think anything of it until we were back in the car and my host mom told me we were the only two women in that store and probably would be for the next week or so! How amusing.

After that, we went to a contemporary art show at a place called the Rayon vert (it was painted red though...). It was an expo by two brothers who paint together wit h four hands at once. I'm not a huge fan of contemporary art, but there were a few paintings there I thought were nice. We also watched a slightly disturbing realism/surrealism movie - very strange. My host mom told me it was strange even for the French, which says alot about how bizarre it was.

Then, we took a stroll down to the Loire and the Jules Verne Museum (we didn't actually go in, but I did take some pictures with statues outside of it). She was able to point out to me all the main buildings in the centre ville and some a little ways away from up on the hill. We also went by the planetarium of Nantes and I was able to go into the little garden with all the sundials and other astronomical instruments - very cool.

Then came back here and I'm going out for dinner soon with two friends from IES and maybe a bar later? Either way, but today was full of adventure and was quite grand!

No comments: