Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A midterm that's a final?

And the count is: 2 midterms, 2 papers, 1 lecture, 1 movie down! Yays! Now all that's left is 2 lectures and misc. homework. It's so nice to have all that behind me.

The midterm this morning went well, except for the fact that it was like a final. Normally 8ams on TR run from 8-9:15 and then chapel is at 9:30. However, this morning, my test ran from 8-10am and I had a 10:05 class; and I was one of the first 10 or 15 people out of 110 to finish. That test was a winner - a final masquerading as a midterm.

In taking my C.S. Lewis exam this morning, I ran into quoting Lewis quite a bit in the necessity of a personal god. Kant, a deist, says about the common moral law, "If we ought, we can." Lewis refutes this by saying, "If we ought, we should; but, we can't." Because of our sinful nature, we cannot keep ourselves nor anyone else accountable to this moral law even if we do measure them against it, and they, us. A total tangent, but I thought it was a good argument and a somewhat obvious one too - but it had never occurred to me before then. A personal, involved, compassionate God is what we all need. (Hopefully I'll elaborate on this more tomorrow, but for now, it's late and my brain is tired.)

Speaking of, these past few days God has really helped me get through the stress and keeping all the information (somehow) in my brain for the exams. His faithfulness even through the small things like these is astounding and so encouraging!

No comments: